Pages

Friday, March 21, 2014

Spring Sailing 1994 - 2014

Today is the first full day of Spring - March 21.  For me, this is the latest date I've ever sailed. 20 years ago on this day - March 21, 1994 - a bunch of us sailed on the Hudson River off of North Germantown (Columbia County). It was the first year I sailed a boat on the Hudson - I was care-taking the Rokeby yacht Pathfinder.  That year we had been on the river almost 2 months - ice, then snow - then thaw - cold, good ice, repeat....I recall at least three significant snow storms that shut us down temporarily that season.  On this last day, the ice was still good and the winds quite strong.  We were out sailing by 7am and the day was done by 10am - warm temps and soft ice signaled the end. I blew out the sail of the Pathfinder as gusty winds and soft, sticky ice strained the old sail. I recall MaryEllen broke her runner that day as well!  We took the fleet off the ice and retired to the Odd Fellows Lodge in Germantown.  
  
So on this 20th anniversary, I headed down to Orange Lake. I heard there was still thick ice and good sailing, just as spring has arrived. It was close to 50 degrees when I arrived late afternoon and the lake was empty and the winds quite gusty. I was told that Brett was out sailing earlier in the day. Spring sailing 20 years on!   The stern steerer Lady and a skeeter were wrapped up awaiting firm ice on another day.

As I crossed the Hudson over the Rhinecliff Bridge on my way home I could see that much of Tivoli Bay  to the north was open water. No sailing to be had there.  There are these small, shallower lakes -- Orange Lake near Newburgh  and Bantam Lake in Ct. that, at times,  can extend the season a bit past springs arrival.  
For this moment, though,  I'll recall that amazing day 20 years ago.
March 1994, North Germantown, on the River. A line up almost as big as 2014.  Aurora, Sweet marie, Vixen, Pathfinder, Mary Ellen, Hound,  others...

Allons & Pathfinder, 1994

Odd Fellows Lodge, Germantown 3/21/94. Always liked this shot with Ricky Aldrich.

After getting on the ice to sail by 6 am, Johnny Vargo is out by noon...

No comments:

Post a Comment